Thursday 2 February 2012

Introductions



Introducing Kaylan Bartholomew:
I am the Provincial Young Workers Committee Vice-Chair and representative from OPSEU Region One. Social justice has always been a passion of mine. I volunteered to be the young workers representative on OPSEU's Solidarity Fund Board and Chair of the OPSEU Live and Let Live Fund because I wanted to become more aware of what we do as a union to help those in other parts of the world. There are people who struggle for basic human rights that we as Canadians sometimes take for granted such as access to clean drinking water, adequate health care, education and freedom from harassment based on our sex, race, religion or sexual orientation.

The organization Horizons of Friendship has a long history of support from OPSEU and because of this we are invited to come along on their tours to see first-hand the work they do.  I am very grateful that OPSEU has given me the opportunity to be their representative on this tour. I look forward to sharing my experiences with the membership through this blog and a follow-up report. 

Adios until I update from Chiapas, Mexico, where I will meet in person the people OPSEU members help to support and hear how we are all helping to make a difference in the lives of our brothers and sisters in another part of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment